Monday, April 12, 2010

Memaw

There are so many people in my life I adore. There are so many people in my life I strive to be like. There are so many people in my life I respect. There are so many people in my life considered to be 'my favorite'. But there are three women sitting at the top of every good list I have. No matter what is going on in my life or theirs, they constantly shape my daily life. Whether they know it or not, my momma, my mawmaw, and my memaw made me the Jenn Jenn I am today.

I am more like these three women than I could ever tell you. I could write a million blogs, and never come close to describing the relationship I have with each of these beautiful women. They are thoughtful, kind, loving, gentle, talented, smart, beautiful, funny, and the list could continue for days. Each of them hold a very special place in my heart. Hopefully, at some point, I will be able to write about each of them on separately to explain the amazing qualities each of these women contain, as well as, the impact they have had on my life.

Today, I spent some time with my favorite group of old ladies. You may remember a story I told you about Julia and Claire from the last time I met with them. Each month when we meet, I walk away with a huge grin on my face and plenty of stories to tell. This group of women consists of eighteen-twenty ladies. The ages of our group range from 90 something to 23. I, of course, am the 23 year-old. The next youngest after me is in her late 50's. This is one of my most favorite crowds, because they tell the best stories and spend as much time at the doctor as I do.

At our meeting today, as we stood to open our meeting in prayer, every time we recited a word, I heard a little poot. It took every ounce of self control I have to keep from letting my giggles escape. Not only because I'm still immature and laugh at 'natural body noises', but because there was a poot to accompany the first syllable of every word of The Lord's Prayer.

After the prayer, we sat down, and I tried to remain composed. Right when I was about to reach the composed mark, I remembered a story from my memaw.....

She told it like this:

"Oh Jenn! I was in North Carolina visiting your uncle, and oh I embarrassed your cousin. While your uncle was at work, your cousin and I went shopping downtown. As we were walking down the sidewalk, I tripped over a piece of broken concrete. And when I hit that dern piece of concrete, every step I took pushed me a little further to the ground until your cousin grabbed a hold of my arm. And as if that wasn't embarrassing enough, with every step I took, I pooted. I had those dern walking farts as I tripped down the sidewalk! I thought your cousin was just gonna die!"

I hope, after reading this, you understand why I had a hard time containing my giggles.

And just in case you are wondering, my memaw probably won't kill me for writing this where other people can read it, simply because she is where my momma and I obtained our audacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Kaylea

My Kaylea