Friday, February 19, 2010

Reacting to Public Apologies

I love sports. Over the past year and a half, I have especially grown to love golf. In learning to like golf, I, like many others, began to respect and admire Tiger Woods. So when I saw the news starting on black friday, I began to feel disappointment towards him, until today.

When I was in high school, I made some big mistakes. Part of dealing with those consequences was standing in front of my church and asking for forgiveness for my inappropriate actions. For anyone who has ever had to give a public apology, they know it is a very humbling experience. An experience not easily forgotten and teaching humility and character.

Over the years, I have had many people I look up to make irresponsible decisions in the public eye. I watched as Dana Jacobson had to issue a similar statement. And also Alex Rodriguez. After these figures issue a public response to their actions, the media reacts. Sometimes in a positive way, and sometimes in a negative way.

As a Christian and as someone who has been in the same position, I believe when someone has the courage to stand up and admit their mistakes, they deserve public forgiveness. It is not my place to decide whether anything said was sincere or not, it is only my place to not hold a grudge. Everyone makes mistakes. In our eyes, some mistakes are bigger than others. Our eyes, however, are not perfect. The reality is all sin is the same in God's eyes.

When a public apology is made, set aside all personal judgements and simply forgive. In the event, you, for some strange reason, end up on the other side of this situation, you would want the same courtesy extended to you. So to Dana Jacobson, Alex Rodriguez, and now Tiger Woods, I appreciate your apology. And I forgive you (even if you don't need or want my forgiveness). And I thank you for standing up in front of the world to admit your mistake and seek out forgivess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Kaylea

My Kaylea